How To Create A Masquerade Mask
by Angelina Mikhno
Masquerade parties are always a great time to get mysterious. But do you know where all the mystery began? During the 15th century, Venetian Royals dressed in their finest clothing and beautiful masks for extraordinary events such as weddings. Their masks were a way to hide their identity and give them the freedom to voice their opinions without judgement. Today, we see masquerade masks being worn for holidays like Halloween and New Years Eve. Although most of us may not be Royals from Venice, it’s still fun to dress up and add some mystery to parties.
Masquerade masks can easily be found in party stores or on websites like Etsy and Oriental Trading. But why buy a mask when you can personalize and create one under ten minutes!
Let me demonstrate how fun and simple designing your own mask can be…
- Simple mask – $0.99 at Party City
- Lace fabric – $4.99/yard at Joann Fabrics
- Gold sequins – $4.49 at Joann Fabrics
- Black feathers – $2.49 at Joann Fabrics
- Hot glue gun
Approximate time to create one mask: 4 minutes
- Heat up your hot glue gun
- Organize your materials – roughly set up fabrics, sequins, and feathers in the way you’d want them to look on your mask
- Take the lace and place it over your mask. Glue only the edges of the lace to the mask. Don’t use too much of the hot glue
- Once the glue has dried, cut around the mask, getting rid of the unneeded fabric (if you choose to, carefully cut into the two holes where your eyes would be)
- Slowly and carefully place small amounts of the hot glue on the back of your feather(s), then immediately placing onto your mask before the glue dries
- Take three sequins and glue them at the edge of each other creating a triangle shape
- Carefully glue sequins to the end of the feather(s) to hide the stub of your feather(s)
8. Now you’re ready to show off your custom mask!
Get as creative as you can! The materials used in the video above are purely an example, take your own spin on it to make it truly your own. Remember to enjoy yourself and have fun! If you end up with a mask you’d rather not show up in public with, there are always other options for you. Here are a few beautiful masks you can purchase online:
Now that you have a beautiful mask and you’re looking for a masquerade party to show it off at..well, you’re in luck! Bollywood Masquerade is coming to 4 more cities and you are invited!
-San Francisco, December 29th
-Seattle, December 30th
-New Orleans, December 30th
-Portland, December 31st